How well a fighter prepares and how well he chooses the right uniforms directly affects his life in combat conditions. One of the basic elements of the uniform is the helmet. The main purpose of a helmet is to protect the head from shrapnel, bullets and mechanical impact.
What are helmets made of?
Military helmets produced at the moment are generally bulletproof and use aramid fibre (Kevlar) to make them.
In the manufacturing process, the aramid fibres are closely interwoven to create a dense and strong yarn. The threads form a kind of web, characterised by low weight and increased resistance. If the processing of Kevlar is done correctly, a good helmet can protect the head and life of a soldier on the battlefield.
A special technology has been used in the development of the upper part of the helmet. This is why the top part is deformed and absorbs most of the energy. But even under sufficiently high loads, the helmet does not crack or fall apart. The likelihood of serious head injury is therefore significantly reduced.
The inclusion of the shell helps to evenly distribute the impact load. Some models are supplemented with special plastic liners, which are located on the inside. With their help, the level of protection is significantly increased.
Can a military helmet stop a bullet?
Modern helmets using Kevlar can stop bullets. Quality ballistic helmets can stop several bullets fired simultaneously from the same point or from different distances. The level of protection of the ballistic military helmets produced is determined individually. An international classification is used for this purpose.
There are, for example, good helmets that can stop 9-calibre bullets. To make it easier to understand what bullets a helmet can protect against, it is necessary to study the technical characteristics of a particular product. You can also find useful information on our website in the relevant product category. Here you can also learn about armour plates of the 5th protection class.
What is the best military helmet?
In order to make a choice in favour of a perfectly suitable military helmet, it is necessary to initially determine the purpose and needs. For example, some models can be successfully combined with special goggles or night vision devices. No matter which type of ballistic helmet is chosen, you need to make sure in advance how comfortable the model is.
Do not buy a helmet that is not the right size. If it is oversized, its level of protection will be relatively low. When using a helmet that is too small, the warfighter will often experience headaches.
There are a huge number of ballistic helmets for sale. But a few types are in particular demand.
- PASGT. This helmet was first introduced over forty years ago. But gradually this helmet is being abandoned as it has a rather high collar. Therefore, in some cases there is discomfort.
- MICH. This type of helmet is equipped with a special fastening system to ensure a secure fit. It is made of modified Kevlar. Therefore, the helmet provides protection against 9-calibre bullets. It can be selected for combat missions.
- FAST. This type of helmet was originally developed for assault troops. The weight of the helmet has been reduced to 1.7kg. These helmets can be combined with night vision devices or other attributes that may be required in combat.
Strong aramid fibres are used to manufacture helmets that meet international standards. The special weave of fibres and threads ensures that the ballistic helmet provides reliable protection against bullets and weapon balls. Some helmets include pads, fasteners and additional elements. All this allows you to perform serious combat tasks in particularly difficult conditions. Additionally, armour plates for large fighters should also be purchased.
Can I purchase a ballistic helmet if I am not already in the AFU?
There is no ban on the purchase of tactical and military helmets in Ukraine. That is why they are often purchased by relatives of soldiers, volunteers, concerned people and directly by the military. There are no restrictions in the legislation regarding the purchase of protective equipment.
In order to purchase quality tactical ballistic helmets or plytonoski, it is worth contacting trusted and responsible suppliers. Before purchasing, it is necessary to assess the terms of co-operation and the availability of certificates.
How do I measure my head to choose a helmet size?
In order to select and purchase a bulletproof helmet to protect yourself from a bullet or shrapnel, it is necessary to determine the correct size. An improperly fitted helmet will not allow you to concentrate when performing combat missions.
To determine the correct helmet size, there are a number of things you need to do. It is best to have another person take all measurements. This will give you a more accurate reading.
- Initially, you need to prepare a sewing metre or tape measure. With the help of such devices it will be easier to take all the measurements.
- You should start with the length of the head. To do this, determine the distance from the back of the head to the eyebrow line. This result should be fixed.
- The next measurement is the width of the head. The measurement should be taken at the ear line. This will allow you to determine the largest points on the left side as well as on the right side.
- The last step is to measure the circumference of the head. Position the tape measure along the line of the brow.
To make it easier to establish what size ballistic helmet you should buy, you need to consider the size of the head circumference. But before making a purchase, you should additionally pay attention to the size grid.
If a helmet falls off, does it become less protected?
Unfortunately, it is not always possible to prevent a ballistic helmet from falling in combat conditions. At such times, the question arises as to whether this will cause a reduction in the level of protection, or whether the integrity of the aramid fibres will be compromised.
Specialists note that a ballistic helmet, which is manufactured in compliance with all norms and requirements, can withstand a serious load. Falling does not affect ballistic parameters and strength.
The main reason is the special construction of a bulletproof helmet. A modern military helmet consists of several layers made of Kevlar. This material is used to create a particularly strong outer shell. To strengthen the inside, special pads made of plastic and special materials are introduced. Often these materials are combined.
Ballistic helmets were originally designed to withstand strong impacts and gunshots. If a bulletproof helmet falls from a height of 1-1.5 metres, its integrity is not compromised. Therefore, the capabilities of the aramid fibres are preserved.
But there are still some limitations:
- the ballistic helmet must not fall on an excessively hard surface from a great height;
- the helmet must not fall on a rough surface;
- you don't want to throw your helmet with force.
All this can cause damage to the structural integrity of the aramid fibres. A fall can cause damage to internal components and linings. If the helmet is damaged, it will have a negative impact on its service life.
What is the lifespan of bulletproof helmets?
Not only military personnel, but also volunteers and relatives who plan to purchase ballistic helmets are interested in the service life of this item. To make it easier to orientate oneself, it is necessary to pay attention to those or other factors that to a certain extent affect the period of use:
- The main factor is the class and type of ballistic material used to make the helmet. The helmets that are prepared using Kevlar and additional components have the longest service life. This combination contributes to increased strength, durability and reliability.
- The service life is also affected by the condition of the ballistic material used for manufacturing. If there are cracks, irregularities or scratches on the surface, this may shorten the period of active use.
- Another significant factor is storage conditions.
If a bulletproof helmet is not properly used or stored, it will lose some of its protective properties over time and become unusable. The period of use is affected by precipitation, temperature fluctuations and mechanical stress. In order to prevent such an outcome, it is worthwhile to properly maintain and store the ballistic helmet in the conditions recommended by the manufacturers.
Reviewed by Ulyana Radostina